A few days ago a client in Latin America asked me whether he could appear in the legal directory Best Lawyers (BL). I was under the impression that the directory was only for USA firms. How wrong I was!
It turns out that Best Lawyers ranks lawyers (not firms) from 70 countries around the world. Due to this coverage, it may be a good directory to bear in mind.
This listing has been around for decades and very well established in the US. So, if you are looking for clients in the US it may make sense to consider it.
How it works
- Nomination – Lawyers can be nominated by anyone but themselves. This means a colleague, an external person, an in-house counsel, a family member etc.
- Peer Review – Lawyers provide peer review. Peers in your jurisdiction will be asked about the nominated lawyers.
- Analysis – BL analyse the feedback obtained to ascertain who makes it to the rankings.
- Eligibility check – BL checks that the nominee is still in business. The research team will contact the nominated lawyer to check he/she is still practicing the law.
- Newly recognised lawyers are included in the BL guide. The nominated lawyer will appear on the online and printed directory.
Is a very straightforward process. Free of charge, from a well-known publication.
If you need help to select the best directories for your firm and prepare your submissions, our team can help. Contact us for an initial consultation.